You may not have heard the name Adam Dirks before, but you have probably heard of Bethany Hamilton, also known as the Soul Surfer. Born into a family of surfers in 1990, Bethany began surfing at a young age and entered her first surfing competition at the age of eight. In October 2003, at the age of 13, Bethany was attacked by a 14-foot tiger shark while surfing. She lost her left arm and over 60% of her blood, but miraculously survived the attack and multiple surgeries without infection.
One month after the attack, Bethany was back in the water surfing, and returned to surf competition within three months. A year later she won her first national title. She turned pro in 2007, and was the inspiration for the 2011 movie, Soul Surfer – based off of her 2004 autobiography by the same name.
In August 2013, at the age of 23, the Soul Surfer married her soul mate, Adam Dirks, a Christian youth minister. Bethany shared her exclusive wedding story with People Magazine, but it was Inside Weddings that got her to talk about her secrets to feeling and looking amazing on the Big Day. Here are some of Bethany”s wedding tips from that interview.
1. Since Bethany is always in the sun while working out or surfing, her number one tip is to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. She also recommends using a chemical-free, organic SPF moisturizer and using lip balm to keep your lips hydrated. Chapped lips, she says, do not hold lipstick well!
2. Bethany asserts that the key to looking your best, is feeling your best. Since this begins on the inside, she recommends incorporating fruits, whole grains, and lots of veggies into your meals.
3. Sun and salty ocean water can wreak havoc on hair, and Bethany knows all about that! Coconut oil naturally conditions and restores the moisture in your hair – a sure winner in Bethany”s book!
4. Wedding workouts are important, but Bethany says that they do not have to consume all your time. She recommends doing your best to carve out just 20 minutes for core strengthening and toning exercises on busy days.
5. Since you will be smiling during most of your wedding day, make sure you are happy with your smile. If you are not confident, Bethany says to do something about it! She was treated with nearly invisible braces that can be removed for your wedding and reception, then put back on afterward (brand can be seen on the interview site, insideweddings.com). Bethany says it is well worth it to invest in a smile that you will love to see in wedding pictures for years to come. “Oh,” she says, “don”t forget about fresh breath – keep mints handy throughout the day.”
6. Last but not least, Bethany wants to remind you that it is your special day! “You are going to be surrounded by people who love you the most. Enjoy it!”
For the full interview in Bethany”s own words, go to insideweddings.com/whats-new/bridal-beauty-tips-from-bethany-hamiton.